Welcome to the new home of Lee's Summit Tribune. We are dedicated to providing you the most current and accurate news and events in Lee's Summit
Home»News»Clamp on a Warming Lamp Sets Fire To Lee’s...
Clamp on a Warming Lamp Sets Fire To Lee’s Summit Home
November 24, 2012
On Wednesday, November 21, 2012, at 9:13 a.m. the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 1100 Block of NE Woodbury Court. The occupant of the house came home and found the house filling with smoke from a fire in the basement.
When the fire department arrived, nothing was visible from the outside of the two-story, single family residence.
All of the occupants were safe outside, or accounted for.
Firefighters entered the structure and found the lower level of the house filled with heavy smoke.
A small fire was located and extinguished in a lower level living room.
A search of the entire structure confirmed that all of the occupants were out of the building.
The fire was under control by 9:37 a.m. Several animals were rescued from the house and provided care.
Fire damage was contained to the lower level living room. Closed doors kept the heaviest smoke and heat damage contained to the downstairs, with only minor to moderate smoke damage to the remainder of the house and a downstairs bedroom.
The cause of the fire was determined to be a clamp on lamp used to warm a pet in a cage. Another pet tipped over the cage and the lamp ignited nearby combustibles.