Welcome to the new home of Lee's Summit Tribune. We are dedicated to providing you the most current and accurate news and events in Lee's Summit
Home»News»Discarded Smoking Material Cause of Lee's...
Discarded Smoking Material Cause of Lee's Summit Duplex Fire
August 31, 2013
By Jim Eden, Assistant Chief, Lee's Summit Fire Department
On Friday, August 30, 2013, at 1:22 p.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 602 NE Magellan Ave. The occupant of the home called 911 to report a fire in the attic.
When the fire department arrived, light smoke was visible from the back of a two-story duplex. The occupants of the duplex were being evacuated.
The fire was located on the deck and wall on the back of unit A. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire on the outside of the building and removed a small portion of the ceiling inside the building to check for fire spread into the attic. The fire was under control by 1:33 p.m.
The fire originated on the deck outside the second floor of unit A, and spread up the wall to the roofline. There was only minor damage to the interior of the duplex. The cause of the fire was determined to be improperly discarded smoking material on the deck.