Welcome to the new home of Lee's Summit Tribune. We are dedicated to providing you the most current and accurate news and events in Lee's Summit
Home»News»Fire spreads from patio fireplace to a...
Fire spreads from patio fireplace to a Lee's Summit house
Oct. 12, 2011
By Assist. Chief Jim Eden
Photo courtesy | Matt Moore
On Tuesday, October 11, 2011, at 5:31 p.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 310 SW Lakeview Blvd. The occupant called 911, and reported that a fire in the chiminea had spread to the house.
When the fire department arrived, fire was visible from an addition on the back of a one-story, single family residence. The occupant was outside.
Firefighters entered the building and quickly kept the fire from spreading any further into the house, while crews controlled the spread of the fire on the outside of the house. A search of the structure confirmed that no one was inside. The fire was under control by 6:02 p.m.
The fire originated in a patio fireplace being used to burn scrap lumber next to the house. The fire was left unattended and ignited nearby vegetation, spreading to the structure. The fire caused extensive damage to the two room addition. Smoke and heat damaged the remainder of the house.
The fire was caused by the improper use of a patio fireplace.