Welcome to the new home of Lee's Summit Tribune. We are dedicated to providing you the most current and accurate news and events in Lee's Summit
Home»News»Fire Started By Fireworks Damages Lee's...
Fire Started By Fireworks Damages Lee's Summit Duplex
July 4, 2014
By Jim Eden, Assistant Chief Lee's Summit Fire Department
On Friday, July 4, 2014, at 9:45 p.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a structure fire in a duplex at 800 NE Banner Drive. A caller reported fireworks hit the side of the duplex and the deck was on fire.
When the fire department arrived, fire was coming from the back of the split level duplex. All occupants were outside.
The majority of the fire involved the deck and back of unit B. Firefighters were able to control the fire on the back of the building just as it was spreading into the attic and the inside of the house. A search of the entire building confirmed that everyone was outside. The fire was under control by 10:26 p.m.
Fire damage was contained to the back of the building, a portion of the attic over both units, and the kitchen area just inside of the back door to the deck of unit B. The entire duplex sustained varying amounts of smoke damage.
The fire was caused by the improper use of fireworks by the occupants of unit B that ignited mattresses and upholstered furniture stored under the deck.
The Red Cross was called to provide assistance to the ten occupants displaced by the fire.