Welcome to the new home of Lee's Summit Tribune. We are dedicated to providing you the most current and accurate news and events in Lee's Summit
Home»News» Fireplace Ember Ignites Roof of Lee's...
Fireplace Ember Ignites Roof of Lee's Summit Townhome
February 24, 2014
By Assistant Chief Jim Eden Lee’s Summit Fire Department
LEE'S SUMMIT, MO--On Sunday, February 23, 2014, at 1:46 p.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 421 NE Churchill Street. A neighbor noticed the fire on the roof and alerted the residents after calling 911.
When the fire department arrived, a small fire was burning on the roof of the four-unit, two-story townhome near the chimney of unit 421. The occupants of the building had safely evacuated the structure.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire on the wood shingled roof and in the attic before it could spread to the other attic spaces or living units. The fire was under control by 2:31 p.m.
Fire damage was isolated to the roof and attic over 421 NE Churchill. A portion of the second floor ceiling was removed to make access to the fire in the attic. All other units were able to be reoccupied after the burned shingles were removed from the roof and the opening covered with a tarp.
The cause of the fire was determined to be embers from the fireplace of unit 421.