On Friday, December 06, 2013, at 7:48 p.m. the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 1321 SW Crossing Drive.
The occupant of the house reported a fire around the fireplace chimney.
When the fire department arrived, fire was visible from the wood chimney and attic of a two-story, single family residence. All of the occupants were outside.
The fire involved the enclosure around the fireplace flue above the second floor and a large portion of the attic. Firefighters knocked down the fire on the outside of the house and contained the fire to the attic.
There was very little fire or smoke damage to the living area of the house, Fire crews did have to pull down a portion of the ceilings on the second floor to get to the fire in the attic, but were able to cover most of the occupants belongings with tarps to protect them from further damage from water and falling debris.
The fire was under control by 8:15 p.m..
The fire originated in the flue inside the wood chimney. The cause of the fire is under investigation.