Welcome to the new home of Lee's Summit Tribune. We are dedicated to providing you the most current and accurate news and events in Lee's Summit
Home»News»Garage Fire Damages Lee's Summit Townhome
Garage Fire Damages Lee's Summit Townhome
July 30. 2011
By Assist. Chief Jim Eden, LSFD
On Saturday, July 30, 2011, at 1:12 p.m. the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 244 SW Pinetree Lane. The occupant called 911 and reported a couch was on fire in the garage.
When the fire department arrived, smoke and fire was visible from the garage of a two-story, four unit townhome. The occupants of the fire unit were outside. The occupants of the neighboring units were being notified to leave.
Firefighters entered the townhome and quickly contained the fire to the garage. A search of the entire building confirmed there was no spread of the fire from the garage and the adjacent units had been evacuated. The fire was under control by 1:36 p.m.
The fire caused extensive damage to the interior of the garage with smoke damage to the living area of the unit. The remaining units of the townhome sustained varying amounts of smoke damage, but were able to be reoccupied.
The fire was determined to be caused by improperly discarded smoking materials in the garage.