Boy Scout Troop 262 held its 2nd Annual Car, Truck, and Motorcycle Show at Lee’s Summit High School Saturday, September 21. Preparations for the event began in April and with dedicated leaders and Scouts, the show slowly came together as they obtained a city permit, gathered supplies, purchased awards, sent notifications to media, car clubs, and local businesses, and attended nearly 20 other car shows to personally promote the event.
With perfect weather ahead of them, Scouts and leaders gathered at 6am that morning to transform the east parking lot of the school into a car show site.
Although vehicle check in opened at 8:30am, vehicles eagerly began to arrive as early at 7:45am that morning. By the end of check in, 43 cool rides of all colors, types and ages could be viewed by the community.
The oldest entry was a 1919 Ford Model T Speedster owned by Mike Adkins of Gladstone, MO. The newest were a 2013 Hyundai Veloster owned by Chad Perkins of Lee’s Summit, MO and a 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 owned by Bob Castle of Wethena, KS. Numerous car clubs were also represented such as Early Ford V-8, Kansas City Corvette Association, Sleepers Car Club, Corvette Club of Kansas City, Mo-Kan VW Club, Leavenworth Cruisers, Antique Automobile Club of Kansas City, and Camaro Club of Kansas City.
During the event, prizes were given out including a year’s subscription to the Lee’s Summit Tribune, a $100 gift card to Chux Trux, and a engine dress up kit provided by Picture Perfect Pools. For the kids attending the event, the Boy Scouts offered activities such as coloring, knot tying, and model car building. There was also a short performance by Mic O Say Dancer, Matt Bowles, to entertain the crowd.
Trophies were awarded to the following 11 entries.
• Best Interior: 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T owned by Joseph Crownover of Independence, MO
• Best Exterior: 1966 Dodge Charger owned by Scott Shigley of Easton, KS
• Best Engine Area: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe owned by Gary Tinsley of Gardner, KS
• Best Work in Progress: 1979 Chevrolet Malibu Wagon owned by Bob Kinman of Greenwood, MO
• Best Motorcycle: 2006 Big Dog K9 owned by Greg Smith of Lees Summit, MO
• Best Truck: 2000 Chevrolet S-10 owned by Eric Dempsey or Blue Springs, MO
• Best Car 1950s and Older: 1952 Ford Victoria owned by Bud Shepherd of Kansas City, MO
• Best Car 1960s & 1970s: 1965 Plymouth Satellite "B" owned by Stan Lazenby of Carrolton, MO
• Best Car 1980s and Newer: 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T owned by Joseph Crownover of Independence, MO
• People’s Choice: 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T owned by Joseph Crownover of Independence, MO
• Best of Show: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe owned by Gary Tinsley of Gardner, KS
The event raised over $1400. Proceeds from this event will go to help Scouts attend high adventure trips such as Sea Base, Philmont, and Northern Tier in the future.
Boy Scout Troop 262 greatly appreciates the support they received from local businesses. Without them, this event could not have been the success it was. Contributions from Lee’s Summit Tribune, Chux Trux, Picture Perfect Pools, DM Creations & Photography, and Bob Sight Ford, as well as many others, helped promote the show, provide prizes, and cover some of the expenses associated with the event.