Welcome to the new home of Lee's Summit Tribune. We are dedicated to providing you the most current and accurate news and events in Lee's Summit
Home»News» Lee's Summit kitchen fire damages apartment
Lee's Summit kitchen fire damages apartment
Jim Eden, Assistant Fire Chief Lee's Summit Fire Department
LEE'S SUMMIT, MO--On Friday, March 28, 2014, at 10:11 a.m., the Lee's Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 1406 SW Jefferson. The caller reported a fire above the stove that was spreading to the rest of the apartment.
When the fire department arrived, smoke was coming from the basement apartment of a two-story, six-unit apartment building. The occupants of the building were self evacuating.
Firefighters entered the building and quickly knocked down the fire in the basement apartment. A search of the entire building confirmed that everyone was out and the fire had not spread to any of the other units. The fire was under control by 10:20 a.m.
The fire originated on top of the stove and spread to the kitchen cabinets. Smoke damaged the remainder of the apartment. The cause of the fire was a pan left unattended on top of a burner that was accidentally left on.
The other apartments in the building units were able to be reoccupied.
The American Red Cross was contacted to provide assistance to the occupants of the involved apartment.