| || ||
Welcome to the new home of Lee's Summit Tribune. We are dedicated to providing you the most current and accurate news and events in Lee's Summit
Saint Luke’s East In Lee’s Summit announces $68...
Saint Luke’s East In Lee’s Summit announces $68 million expansion plans
June 9, 2011
Expansion will include 182,000 square feet of new
construction, including the addition of a fifth floor
Saint Luke’s East-Lee’s Summit is embarking on a $68 million expansion to its hospital and campus to include 182,000 square feet of new construction and 58 new hospital beds (with shell space for 52 more). The expansion will add a fifth floor, a new building for patient care services, additional parking structures, and expanded Emergency Department and operating room capacity.
“Saint Luke’s East-Lee’s Summit has seen exceptional growth since it opened in 2006, this expansion being the latest phase,” said George Pagels, M.D., CEO. “The demand for high-quality health care services close to home is greater than ever, and we’re responding to the community’s needs.”
The expansion will include:
• Construction of “Building F” (five floors): Four of the five floors will be used for patient care services (one floor is mechanical) and attach to the main hospital (90,000 square feet)
- First floor: Medical office space and the future home of Saint Luke’s Cancer Institute
- Second floor: New space for the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit including 12 new beds (expandable to 20), in-room sleeping and convenient shower access for parents, and the ability to care for younger, sicker babies (the NICU will be upgraded from the current Level II to Level IIIa)
- Third floor: Mechanical space
- Fourth floor: New, dedicated Surgical Intensive Care Unit including 16 new beds equipped with the Saint Luke’s eICU
- Fifth floor: Shell space for future clinical services
• Emergency Department expansion: Ten beds (5,000 square feet) will be added to the Emergency Department, for a total of 28
• Surgical Services expansion: Additional operating room capacity (11,000 square feet)
• Construction of the hospital’s fifth floor: The fifth floor (55,000 square feet) will have the capacity to house 60 beds; 30 beds on the north side will be finished, leaving shell space for the remaining 30
• Finishing the second floor of the Diagnostic Center: The Diagnostic Center’s second floor and the medical office space in Building F will add 21,000 square feet
• Parking: Two additional surface lots and a two-story parking deck will be added, for a total of 300 new parking spaces
The NICU and Emergency Department projects will be finished first, with an expected completion date of early 2012. The remaining projects are expected to be completed by mid-2013. Currently, the hospital has 117 beds (including four NICU beds). After the expansion is complete, the hospital will have 171 beds (including 12 NICU beds) with full build-out capacity for 223 beds (20 NICU beds and an additional 30 beds on the fifth floor).
In addition, the hospital’s growth will add at least 125 jobs to the Lee’s Summit community.
“It takes a special caregiver to work in this fast-paced, patient-focused facility,” said John Clabaugh, director of Human Resources. “We are told time and again that our staff provides the most caring environment for patients, their families, the physicians who practice here, and each other. We’re constantly seeking people who will complement our already-wonderful team.”
Northwest Missouri State Picked to Remain on Top