January 21, 2023
The Lee’s Summit Educational Foundation awarded more than $10,000 in grants to Lee’s Summit R-7 School District middle and high school students in December 2022 and January 2023.
An anonymous donor provided the funding to pilot this opportunity for students to turn innovative ideas for their school into reality. Applicants collaborated with their peers to develop a concept, explain how it would benefit their school, and create a budget and implementation timeline. A committee of LSEF Board and Committee members narrowed nearly 50 applications to a selection of 11 student group winners, including:
Bernard C. Campbell Middle School
• Steppers Club ($996) – Laila Moncada, Moriah Davis, Angela James, Indya Harris, Kayle Conrad
East Trails Middle School
• Button Maker ($802.60) – Stella Schnabel and Chrissa Erps
Pleasant Lea Middle School
• Interactive Student Display ($620.36) – Giah Burns, Sylae Kemp, A’Lonna Burks, Shiah Chambers
• Robotics FTC Starter Kit ($808.98) – Natalie Newkirk, Abigail Bartholomew, Brooklyn Clutter, Bryson Leech, Darby Cobb, Elias McCoy, Emily Honour, Ethan Wagner, Graham Pearson, Isaac Marble, Isaac Murdock, Jack O’Hara, Jacob Kahler, Kylie Cox, Lian Krentz, Lily Wang, Maddox Ker, Sullivan Freeland, Zhenya Peresolkova
Lee’s Summit High School
• Coffee Cart ($978) – Julius Jones, Dominic Escobedo, DeShawn B., Kaden Peter
Lee’s Summit North High School
• Garden Supplies ($1,000) – National Honor Society
• Robotics Battery Charging Station ($1,013.80) – Nate Tohill and Wesley Oxman
• Positive Signs ($500) – Ashlyn Bandelier, Kennedy McEnany, Sasha Plowman, Hayden Davies, and Leyton Porterfield and members of the National Honor Society
Lee’s Summit West High School
• Robotics ($786) – Brianna Harmon and Ava Wischnewski
• Read Across America Day Event ($970) – Nora Lassman and LSW Book Club members
• Scholar Bowl ($958) – Finley Eder, Andy Yang, Jack Marsh, Hudson Artis, Luke Daley
• Multicultural Festival ($579.94) – Ava Wischnewski and Anthony Klote
Follow the Lee’s Summit Educational Foundation on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn for updates on these grants in action.
Donate to the Foundation at www.lsedfoundation.org to provide funding for student-led grants in 2024.
Established in 1993, the Lee’s Summit Educational Foundation promotes excellence in education by raising private funds to help support programs within the Lee’s Summit R-7 School District. The Foundation’s mission is to generate and guide philanthropic resources to promote excellence in education in the Lee’s Summit R-7 Schools. For additional information about the student-led grant opportunity, visit the Lee’s Summit Educational Foundation’s website at www.lsedfoundation.org or contact 816-986-1015.