March 11, 2019

By Assistant Chief Jim Eden
Lee’s Summit Fire Department

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 6:23 a.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 330 SE Jackson Court. The occupant of the house called 911 and reported a fire on the back porch and the house was being evacuated.

When the fire department arrived smoke and fire was visible from the back of the one-story, single family residence. The occupants were safe outside.

The fire had spread from the heavily involved deck to the inside of the house. Crews knocked down the fire on the covered deck as crews entered the house to fight the fire that had spread inside through the windows. A search of the house also confirmed everyone was out. The fire was under control by 7:07 a.m.

The fire heavily damaged the covered deck and a portion of the first floor, with heat and smoke damage throughout the rest of the house.

The fire started on the deck and the cause is believed to be electrical in origin.