Apr. 15, 2019

By Assistant Chief Jim Eden

On Monday, April 15, 2019, at 8:45 a.m. the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 102 SE Westwind Drive. Several passerby’s reported smoke from the roof.

When the fire department arrived, smoke was visible from the roof of a one-story, single family residence.

Citizens were knocking on the doors and windows to see if anyone was home.

Firefighters entered the house and removed the ceiling around the fireplace to extinguish a fire burning in the attic. 

A search of the house confirmed no one was inside. The family was later accounted for and returned home.  The incident was under control by 9:13 a.m.

Fire damage was contained to the attic and wall around the fireplace and chimney. The fire is believed to have been caused by a faulty fireplace that had been in use the night before.

The Red Cross is providing assistance to the family.