November 23, 2019

By Fred Liggett

Tribune photos by Joey Hedges

The Raytown Blue Jays faced adversity from the start in their Class 5 quarterfinal round game against Staley where the Falcons won 30-14 at Ted Chittwood Stadium. A 16-0 second quarter proved to be the difference as Staley advances to play Jackson next week and Raytown ends their season at 9-3.

The Falcons got on the board first with a five-yard touchdown run by Dermont Marshall with 9:10 left in the opening quarter. The score would not remain 7-0 for long as the Blue Jays got on the board thanks to QB Joe Campbell’s 86-yard touchdown pass to senior WR Adrian Moss at the 7:58 mark making the score a seven-all tie. A little more than four minutes later Staley would score on special teams thanks to a 49-yard blocked punt return for a touchdown giving the visitors a 14-7 lead. The first quarter would go on and end with that score.

Staley had second quarter success on this Saturday as they turned a defensive turnover into seven more points with 5:43 left in the half. Defensive lineman Caleb Taylor intercepted Raytown QB Joe Campbell and returned it 58 yards for a touchdown. A two-point conversion failed giving Staley a 20-7 lead at the time. Just 11 seconds and one play later Staley got the ball back on the team’s second interception of the game. Then 52 seconds later a Fowler to Ramon Shelton 45-yard pass went for six more points and after the PAT Raytown faced a 20-point difference at 27-7.

Less than a minute later the crowd got really quiet as Raytown QB Joe Campbell went down at 3:41 left in the half after a collision with a Staley defender. Campbell would leave the contest due to concussion-like symptoms. This all coming at 3:41 left in the first half. The final score of the half happened as the scoreboard went to :00 as Staley’s Brayden Walker hit a 23-yard field goal to give them a 30-7 lead at the break. Only one score came in the second half and that was Brayden Walker’s 23-yard field goal making the score 30-7.

The second half saw only one score and that came in the game’s final two minutes when Raytown’s D’Vontae Key scored on a touchdown run making the score 30-14. Blue Jays QB Joe Campbell did not play again after his first half injury.

The game served as the final contest to be played at Ted Chittwood Stadium as we now know it. During the winter and spring the current stadium will receive upgrades such as new bleachers and press box. The new facility is expected to be completed in time for the start of the 2020 season.

This playoff game coverage from Raytown High School is sponsored by United Consumers Credit Union located at 8730 E. 63rd Street in Raytown. 

Addition photos available ALBUM by Joey Hedges