December 2, 2020

Cooking Fire Contained to the Garage

By LSFD Assistant Chief Jim Eden

LEE’S SUMMIT, MO—On Wednesday, December 2, 2020 at 5:57 p.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 5600 Block of NE Hidden Meadow Circle. A neighbor noticed the fire, called 911, and alerted the occupants of the house.

When the fire department arrived, smoke and fire was coming from the garage of a two-story, single- family house. All of the occupants were reported to be safe outside.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire in the garage. A search of the smoke filled house confirmed that everyone was out and the fire had not spread from the garage to the second floor. The fire was under control by 6:21 p.m.

Fire damage was contained to the garage with significant smoke damage to the living area of house. The cause of the fire was determined to be food cooking unattended on a propane stove in the garage.