LEE’S SUMMIT, MO—On Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 11:12 p.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 1200 Block of SE Rosehill Drive. The neighbor behind the house reported a fire on the deck.

When the fire department arrived, smoke and fire was visible from the back of the one-story, single-family residence. The occupants were safe outside.

Crews quickly knocked down the fire on the deck as other crews entered the house to extinguish the fire that had spread to the inside.  A search of the house confirmed everyone was out. The fire was under control by 11:39 p.m.

The fire heavily damaged the deck and spread to the living room and dining room. Heat and smoke damage varied throughout the rest of the house.

The cause of the fire was determined to be ashes from a charcoal grill that had been used on the deck earlier in the evening.