On Wednesday, July 04, 2018 at 3:54 p.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 3776 SW Boulder Drive. The caller reported smoke and fire in the garage. The caller thought it was possibly related to fireworks.

3776 SW Boulder Drive, Lee’s Summit

Heavy black smoke was visible to units responding to the fire and additional units were added to the call. As units arrived, smoke and fire was coming from the garage and side window of a two-story single family residence. All of the occupants were safe outside.

Firefighters attacked the fire in the garage as other crews went inside to check for fire spread. The fire was mostly contained to the garage and a portion of the attic above it. There were two vehicles on fire in the garage along with several other pieces of gas powered equipment. Gasoline leaking from one of the vehicles ignited several times, forcing firefighters to switch to foam to control the fire until the leak stopped. The fire was under control at 5:17 p.m.

With the heat index over 100 degrees, additional crews were requested to provide relief to the crews that responded to the initial call. Several fire departments provided mutual aid assistance during the incident.

The fire originated in the garage, causing extensive damage to the structure and contents. The living area of the home sustained minor smoke and water damage. The ceilings on the second floor bathroom had to be removed to get to the fire in the attic.

It was determined the fire was likely caused when an ember from a punk being used to light fireworks fell off into a stack of cardboard and other combustibles in the garage as unused fireworks were being carried inside so the family could start dinner. The open garage door and southerly wind is believed to have contributed to the rapid buildup of the fire in the combustibles.