Contribute to a “Spirit of Community”!
• Reach out to those in need in Lee’s Summit.
• Volunteer your time to social service agencies or faith-based groups.
• Enjoy our beautiful downtown, including the Mayor’s Tree Lighting!
• Drive through Christmas in the Park with family and friends.
• Or RIDE through during Trip the Night Fantastic Nov. 20!
Maintain your mental health
• Enjoy family and friends. Carve out a little time each day just for yourself too!
• Keep things simple to minimize holiday stress.
• Watch for signs of winter/holiday depression. If having thoughts of hurting yourself or others, call First Step for Help crisis line 888-279-8188.
• Avoid driving under the influence of alcohol of drugs.
• Designate a sober driver.
• Don’t drive when drowsy.
• Resist distractions while driving including texting!
• Enjoy holiday treats and meals, but limit portions.
• Maintain your activity level. Exercise at least 30 minutes daily.
• Explore our wonderful Lee’s Summit parks and community centers.
This article was submitted by Dr. Ed Kraemer, a Family Physician with Truman Medical Center and an assistant professor at the University of Missouri Kansas City School of Medicine and co-chair of the Health Education Advisory Board, a Mayor-appointed, volunteer board that promotes and advocates community health by assessing health issues, educating the public and government agencies, developing plans to address health issues, encouraging partnerships and evaluating the outcomes.