Megan Callahan, MS, RD, LD
Hy-Vee Corporate Registered Dietitian
June 6, 2020
Is your Dad the “Master of the Grill?” This Father’s Day, combine two of Dad’s favorites – pizza and grilling – with a healthier spin. Ditch the pepperoni and grill your way to Dad’s heart with ingredients that are good for his heart.
Keep It Lean Higher-fat processed meats, like pepperoni and sausage, tend to be among the most popular pizza toppings. Opt instead for grilled chicken. This protein is lower in saturated fat, making it a good choice for heart health. In addition to helping build strong muscles, protein can also help with weight loss because it helps you feel fuller longer.
Eat the Rainbow Make sure to top Dad’s pizza with several different colors of vegetables for a range of health benefits. For example, the lycopene in tomatoes and anthocyanins in red onions may reduce the risk of heart disease and some cancers. Beta-carotene, which is in yellow squash, is important for eye health.
Feature Dad’s Favorites If the vegetables featured in this recipe are not Dad’s favorites, you can easily swap them out for others. Vegetables increase fiber and potassium, which are both important for heart health. Dietary fiber may help reduce levels of cholesterol in the blood, while potassium helps maintain healthy blood pressure. So however you slice it, topping Dad’s pizza with lean protein and a rainbow of vegetables is sure to make his heart happy.
Grilled Chicken and Veggie Pizza
All you need:
1 medium yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced ¼-inch thick
3 medium Roma tomatoes, sliced lengthwise into ¼-inch slices
½ medium red onion, cut into ¾-inch wedges
4 tbsp Gustare Vita olive oil, divided
½ tsp Hy-Vee kosher salt
¾ pound Hy-Vee True Chicken breast tenders
2 (6.5-oz each) pkgs Hy-Vee pizza crust mix
1/3 cup Hy-Vee all-purpose flour
1 cup hot water
6 tbsp Gustare Vita pesto, divided
1 cup Hy-Vee shredded Italian blend cheese
1 tsp Hy-Vee lemon pepper seasoning
Fresh basil, for garnish
All you do:
- Brush grill grates and a grill wok or vegetable grate with cooking oil.
- Preheat grill and wok for direct cooking over high heat.
- On a large baking sheet place summer squash, tomatoes and onion; coat with 1½ tablespoons olive oil.
- On a separate baking sheet, place chicken and coat with ½ tablespoon olive oil and season with ½ teaspoon kosher salt.
- Decrease grill heat to medium high.
- Grill chicken tenders for 8 to 10 minutes, turning once, until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Grill veggies in wok about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally until tender and slightly charred.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl stir together pizza crust mix, flour and water until combined. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 1 minute. Cover and let rest about 5 minutes. Divide dough in half. On lightly floured surface, roll out each half to roughly a 13-by-9-inch oval. Brush each side with ½ tablespoon olive oil and place on baking sheets.
- Transfer pizza dough to grill. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until underside is golden brown and charred. With a large spatula, turn dough. Working quickly, spread 3 tablespoons pesto over each oval almost to edge. Arrange grilled vegetables and chicken over pesto. Top with cheese and lemon pepper seasoning. Grill until underside is golden and charred, about 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Garnish with basil, if desired.
Recipe source: Dietitian adapted from Hy-Vee.com. www.hy-vee.com/recipes-ideas/recipes/grilled-chicken-and-veggie-pizza. Nutrition Facts per serving (1 slice): 390 calories, 16g total fat, 3.5g saturated fat, 690mg sodium, 41g carbohydrates, 2g fiber, 1g added sugars, 19g protein. Daily Values: Calcium 15%, Iron 15%, Potassium 4%, Vitamin D, 0%. The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.