Megan Callahan, MS, RD, LD
Hy-Vee Registered Dietitian
October 10, 2020
- Vitamin A: Key nutrient for eye health, skin and immune system.
- Vitamin C: Helps boost the immune system and helps provide healthy, glowing skin.
- Fiber: Helps with digestion and gut health.
- Lower impact on blood sugar than other starchy vegetables.
- Iron: Supports red blood cells, which carry oxygen throughout the body.
- Beta-Carotene: Great for your immune system.
- Calcium: Boosts your bone health.
- Potassium: Helps control blood pressure.
- Cancer fighting nutrients: may help slow tumor growth.
- Always in season.
Sweet potatoes are so good for you, it’s perfectly fine to eat one a day! They are gluten-free, low-sodium, low-fat, no cholesterol and loaded with valuable fiber, vitamins and minerals. Go to hy-vee.com for delicious recipe ideas and be proud to call these healthy spuds your new buds! Try this simple recipe for roasted sweet potatoes.
Roasted Almond Sweet Potatoes
All You Need:
4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch-thick cubes
3 tbsp Hy-Vee Select olive oil
4 large garlic cloves, minced
⅓ cup fresh thyme leaves, plus 6 thyme sprigs for garnish
½ tsp kosher salt, optional
½ cup slivered California almonds
All you do:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cubed sweet potatoes, olive oil, garlic, thyme and salt, if desired, and toss. Arrange potato slices into a single layer on a heavyweight rimmed baking sheet or in a 9-by-13-inch baking sheet. Place on the top rack of the oven and roast until tender and slightly browned, about 40 minutes.
- On another baking sheet, spread out the slivered almonds in a single layer. Place in the oven and toast just until they become aromatic, about 8 minutes. Remove from oven and remove from baking sheet to allow to cool.
- To serve, place roasted sweet potato mixture in a serving bowl. Top with toasted almonds and serve.
Recipe adapted from Almond Board of California. The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.