Megan Callahan, MS, RD, LD
Hy-Vee Registered Dietitian
December 19, 2020
This holiday season may look a bit different than years past. The usual large gatherings may be replaced with smaller close-knit celebrations. Simple holiday sides may be the solution to your scaled-down festivities this holiday season.
While there is a lot that goes into hosting loved ones, it doesn’t have to make you feel overwhelmed or disorderly. Simple dishes and sides can be just that … simple. So stress less and leave the extra mess out of your kitchen. Look for pre-cut fruits and vegetables like Hy-Vee Short Cuts to bring you ease this holiday season. Downsize from the large holiday turkey and go for a Cornish hen to accommodate your smaller festivity. Cut your recipe in half, or make the full recipe and freeze the other half to use later!
Don’t let downsizing your holiday party menu put you out of the holiday spirit. Simplify your holiday celebration with easy ingredients and recipes in order to still spread the holiday cheer. Check out this holiday side, Sweet Potato Bites, and more simple holiday recipes at hy-vee.com.
Sweet Potato Bites
All You Need:
¼ cup packed Hy-Vee brown sugar
1 tbsp Hy-Vee unsalted butter, melted
½ tsp Hy-Vee ground cinnamon
¼ tsp Hy-Vee ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp Hy-Vee ground cloves
24 cubes Hy-Vee Short Cuts sweet potatoes
24 Hy-Vee miniature marshmallows
All you do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 24-count mini muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves in a small bowl.
- Place 1 sweet potato in each prepared mini muffin cup. Sprinkle cinnamon mixture over sweet potatoes.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender; remove from oven. Place a mini marshmallow on each potato; secure with wooden toothpick. Preheat broiler to HIGH. Broil sweet potatoes and marshmallows for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until marshmallows are lightly browned.
- Cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe source: https://www.hy-vee.com/recipes-ideas/recipes/sweet-potato-bites. The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.