December 11, 2021
This go-to kitchen gadget may be used during the holidays more than anytime of the year. Its cookie-, cake- and pie-prepping capabilities are unmatched. Yet give the food processor some healthy credit as it can make scrumptious, low-sugar concoctions with the simple press of a button. From nut butter to cauliflower pizza crust, allow the processor to lighten the load.
- Nut Butters: Turn this countertop pulverizer into a nut-butter-making machine. Add any nut you desire to the base of the processor, then mix. Watch the nuts go from whole, to meal, to clumps, and finally to the perfect creamy concoction you’re dreaming of. (Note: This process can take up to 10 minutes.) Spread nut butter on apple slices, whole-grain waffles, or simply enjoy a spoonful for a perfect sticky snack.
- The Proof Is in the Pudding: Is there anything avocados don’t pair with well? Even if you aren’t fond of this creamy green fruit, you might when it’s combined with chocolate. Avocado pudding is rich, silky, smooth and downright sinful – you’ll completely forget you’re eating so many health benefits. Avocados contribute nearly 20 vitamins and minerals. Check out hy-vee.com for this delicious recipe.
- Cauliflower: When cauliflower is pulsed in a food processor, it magically turns into a veggie that resembles white rice (which makes it easy to sneak into casseroles and soups without your family even noticing). Chalk that up for a veggie win!
- Who Screams for Nice Cream: Whirl up frozen bananas for a sweet dessert that doesn’t include the sugar crash. Adding some peanut butter to the processor adds a perfect touch of flavor and you won’t even question where the real stuff is.
This holiday season, be part of the process using the handy-dandy food processor for all your cooking (and baking) creations.
Honey Almond Butter
All you need:
- 12 ounces Hy-Vee slivered almonds
- 3 tbsp Hy-Vee vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp salt
All you do:
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, process almonds until finely ground. With the processor running, add oil, honey and salt. Continue to process until almond mixture has formed a thick paste.
The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.