April 2, 2022
Are you looking for ways to stretch your food dollar? There are many easy ways to stay within your food budget when grocery shopping. What may be surprising is that you do not have to sacrifice nutrition! Whole foods that are less processed, such as fruits, vegetables, grains, beans, meat and low-fat or fat-free dairy, are typically the better bargain when it comes to cost and nutrition. You pay more for convenience, so take time to plan and prepare meals to help you save money!
• Pick private label – Hy-Vee private-label brands like Gustare Vita, That’s Smart! and Full Circle will save you an average of 15 to 25% over the national name brand, and the quality of food is comparable to the national brand!
• Eat more meals at home – Home-prepared meals will add up to big savings. Use leftover ingredients in another recipe (cook once, serve twice) or eat the leftovers for lunch the next day – which saves time and money.
• Meal plan – Plan meals using Hy-Vee.com/recipes! The searchable database has hundreds of recipes listed according to category (appetizer, main dish, one dish, dessert, etc.). You also can search under special dietary considerations such as vegan, vegetarian, heart healthy and diabetes-friendly.
Have breakfast for dinner with this nutritious Corn and Egg Frittata that is easy on the wallet!
That’s Smart! Corn and Egg Frittata
All You Need:
2 tbsp That’s Smart! pure canola oil
1¼ cups That’s Smart! frozen whole kernel golden corn, plus additional for topping
1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1 tsp That’s Smart! chili powder
10 That’s Smart! large eggs, lightly beaten
4 oz Hy-Vee pepper jack cheese, grated
½ (14.5-oz) can That’s Smart! diced tomatoes, drained
¼ cup sliced green onions
All you do:
- Preheat broiler to HIGH.
- Heat oil in a 10-inch broiler-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1¼ cups corn, jalapeno pepper and chili powder. Cook for 5 minutes or until corn is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Combine eggs and cheese; pour over corn mixture in skillet. Cook over medium heat. As mixture sets, run a spatula around edge of skillet, lifting egg mixture so uncooked portion flows underneath. Continue cooking and lifting edges until egg mixture is almost set and surface is still moist.
- Place skillet under broiler 4 inches from heat. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes or until top is just set. Top with tomatoes, additional cooked corn and green onions.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 330 calories, 22g fat, 8g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 395mg cholesterol, 350mg sodium, 12g carbohydrates, 8g fiber, 4g sugar (0g added sugar), 19g protein. For more shopping tips and recipe ideas, visit hy-vee.com/health/hy-vee-dietitians to connect with your Hy-Vee dietitian. The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.