July 30, 2022
Zucchini … often the forgotten fruit! Let us focus on this versatile summertime squash and its nutritious benefits. No matter if you think zucchini is a fruit or a vegetable, what is certain is that its mellow, grassy flavor and buttery texture is a perfect addition to any meal or snack.
Let’s first discuss how to use this versatile squash. When you are looking to purchase zucchini, the zucchini skin should be smooth, glossy and free of bruises. It should also be firm with the stem intact. Next, when storing zucchini, whole zucchini can be kept in the fridge for 1 to 2 weeks. Place in the crisper drawer or inside a perforated plastic bag. Before cooking, rinse zucchini with water to remove any dirt and trim the ends. Skin can be peeled or left on. Last, slice into desired shape and cook and enjoy!
Not only is zucchini versatile, it is full of nutrient-rich vitamins and minerals. Check out the key nutrients found in zucchini:
• Folate – Folate is an essential B vitamin necessary for producing red and white blood cells in bone marrow, producing DNA and RNA, and transforming carbohydrates into energy our bodies need.
• Potassium – Potassium is one of the seven essential macrominerals. Potassium plays a role in our kidney, heart and muscle function, and the transmission of messages through the nervous system.
• Vitamin A – Vitamin A is an essential vitamin that the body needs for growth and development. It is also vital for cell recognition, vision, immune function and reproduction. And it helps the heart, lungs, kidneys and other organs function correctly.
Ready to try zucchini this summer? Make this delicious and nutritious Keto Zucchini Bread for a tasty breakfast or snack.
Keto Zucchini Bread
All You Need:
Hy-Vee nonstick cooking spray
1¾ cups Good Graces gluten-free almond flour
½ cup Swerve granular sugar replacement
2½ tsp Hy-Vee baking powder
1½ tsp Hy-Vee ground cinnamon
½ tsp Hy-Vee salt
3 Hy-Vee large eggs
1 tsp Hy-Vee vanilla extract
⅓ cup Hy-Vee refined coconut oil, melted and cooled
1¼ cups shredded zucchini
½ cup Hy-Vee chopped walnuts, toasted
All you do:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8×4-inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Spray with nonstick spray; set aside.
- Whisk together almond flour, sugar replacement, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in medium bowl until combined.
- Whisk eggs and vanilla in large bowl. Gradually fold in dry ingredients and coconut oil until combined. Stir in zucchini and walnuts.
- Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
Recipe source: July 2022 Hy-Vee Seasons magazine. Maybe zucchini isn’t your favorite but you are still looking to fill in the nutritional gaps in your diet – Vitamine can help! We are very excited about our launch of Vitamine, a personalized vitamin subscription program. Vitamine was created to help individuals continue to meet their health and wellness goals, especially when there is a large selection of vitamins available for customers that can be confusing. It is a dietitian-led program; if you need additional help, you know that you are getting support from food and nutrition experts. Using the Vitamine area in our Hy-Vee HealthMarket, take a FREE 5-minute quiz at select stores. You can also take the quiz at www.vitaminewellness.com for your personalized recommendations from our team of dietitians, or chat with them with any vitamin and supplement questions. The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.