July 15, 2023
SOAR Special Needs is excited to host two full-week camp experiences throughout Kansas City in July.
Summer camp host sites are Abundant Life Church (304 SW Persels Rd, Lee’s Summit, MO 64081), Jul 10-14 and Grace Church (8500 W 159th St, Overland Park, KS 66223), Jul 17-21. Both camps operate from 9am to4pm each day.
SOAR is expecting nearly 200 campers ages 3-64. SOAR serves multiple diagnoses and severities, including medically fragile individuals that would otherwise not be able to experience camp due to their medical complexities. SOAR camp provides on-site medical staff in order to support this underserved population.
Facts about SOAR camp:
● SOAR provides the largest full-week disability day camp in the country.
● Camp DINO-SOAR focuses on the individuals’ abilities and NOT their disabilities.
● SOAR Camp provides 40 hours of needed respite for parents and caregivers in one week.
● Camp provides community service hours to nearly 600 area students of all ages.
● SOAR Camp provides a unique experience for campers including FOAM Frenzy parties and the ability to participate in an accessible water park experience.
● Medical staff on-site at SOAR camp allows individuals with any diagnosis, including complex medical conditions, to participate.
● Campers are welcomed each day with a VIP treatment as they walk the green carpet.
● SOAR makes the camp affordable for the families ($500/week) despite it costing us over $1000/camper per week.
26% of the US population has a disability or special needs, making them the largest minority group, therefore, SOAR exists to transform the lives of special families and empower them to SOAR in their local and faith communities.
Through their programming, SOAR helps answer the three question every parent/care-giver of an individual with disability has:
- Will my child ever be able to provide for themself?
- Who will take care of my child once I’m gone?
- Who will take care of me (as a parent/care-giver)?
SOAR stands for Special Opportunities, Abilities, and Relationships and is a non-profit, 501c3 organization serving families in Kansas City, across the United States, and around the world. Find out more at soarspecialneeds.org.