December 3, 2022
Preparing to gather with friends and family doesn’t have to be stressful or time-consuming this holiday season! Oven roasting beef is a simple way to prepare your meal that doesn’t leave you tied to the kitchen. Not only is beef easy to prepare, but it contains important nutrients that your body needs. Beef is a high-quality source of protein without a long list of ingredients. There’s no replicating its great nutrition or taste! Here are a few of Hy-Vee dietitians’ top reasons and tips for choosing beef:
• The essential nutrients found in beef, like high-quality protein, iron, zinc and B vitamins, provide our bodies with the strength to thrive throughout all stages of life.
• A 3-oz. serving of lean beef provides nearly half of the Daily Value for protein. Because protein promotes satiety, eating a protein-rich meal or snack makes you feel full longer, which is helpful when trying to avoid overindulging during the holiday season!
• When looking for lean cuts of beef look for the term loin or round in the name, such as Strip Loin Roast and Tenderloin Roast. The terms loin and round are usually good indicators that the cut is lean.
• The versatility of beef allows you to save time and money by cooking once, and dining twice. Leftover beef roast makes delicious beef wraps or toppings for your salad.
Try Lemon-Garlic Roast with Herbed Oregano-Horseradish Sauce at your next family gathering. This dish includes a perfectly cooked strip roast rubbed with lemon peel, pepper and garlic as well as a horseradish sauce spiked with tart lemon and oregano. Add your favorite vegetables for a perfect meal your family is sure to love!
Lemon-Garlic Roast with Herbed Oregano-Horseradish Sauce
All You Need:
1 beef strip roast (3 to 4 lbs)
2 tbsp grated lemon peel
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
3 tsp minced garlic
1 cup regular or reduced-fat dairy sour cream
¼ cup horseradish
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp finely chopped fresh oregano or chives
¼ tsp salt
All you do:
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Combine seasoning ingredients; press evenly onto all surfaces of beef strip roast.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 325°F oven 1¼ to 1½ hours for medium rare; 1½ to 1¾ hours for medium doneness.
- Meanwhile, combine sauce ingredients in medium bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 145°F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°-15°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
- Carve roast into slices; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve with sauce.
Nutrition Facts per serving, 1/12 of recipe: 192 calories; 81 calories from fat; 9g total fat (4g saturated fat; 3g monounsaturated fat;) 63mg cholesterol; 128mg sodium; 2g total carbohydrate; 0.4g dietary fiber; 25g protein; 1.7mg iron; 7.2mg NE niacin; 0.6mg vitamin B6; 1.4mcg vitamin B12; 4.7mg zinc; 29.3mcg selenium; 98.5mg choline. Recipe source: Lemon-Garlic Roast with Herbed Oregano-Horseradish Sauce (beefitswhatsfordinner.com) For more tips on how to incorporate lean beef into your diet, reach out to a Hy-Vee dietitian today. And be sure to check out our upcoming Wellness Wednesday class on December 14 discussing how to Beef Up Your Meals, as well as our December Freezer Meal Prep workshops! The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.