December 2, 2023
With holiday gatherings, office parties, shuffling kids to and from activities and school, the holiday season certainly is busy! But being healthy isn’t seasonal. Feel good all season long with a health and wellness team dedicated to helping you be at your best! Hy-Vee registered dietitians know it’s possible to hustle through the holidays and still support your health. I’m sharing my go-to meal and snack solutions to keep everyone feeling jolly. Ho-ho-ho, let’s go!
Rediscover a balanced breakfast. Eating breakfast can help you manage your cravings throughout the day, increase your energy levels, and help control your blood sugar. The holiday season is always stacked with “too-many-things-on-my-to-do-list,” which can play havoc with healthy eating. A simple solution? Start your day with a customizable sheet pan recipe such as the Sheet Pan Egg-Stuffed Bagels recipe below.
Stock the pantry and fridge with simple snack solutions. Snacks can be an easy way to help fill nutrition gaps in our diet and manage blood sugar levels throughout the day. My favorites include:
• Apple + pear slices with nut butter or dessert hummus: Using fiber-filled fruit for dipping paired with a protein-rich dip is a great way to build a balanced snack or appetizer. This combo will help with appetite control, blood sugar regulation and weight management.
• Non-starchy vegetables (like baby carrots, celery sticks, sugar snap peas, and cucumber slices) with guacamole, hummus or ranch: 90% of Americans still don’t consume enough fruits and vegetables daily. Satisfy your crunchy craving with your favorite raw veggies in addition to your favorite pita chips or whole-grain crackers.
Remember, healthy doesn’t need to be hard. Don’t over-think it! Aim for 3 to 5 of the 5 food groups together at mealtime and combine 2 food groups together for snacks to make eating simple, nourishing and well-balanced. Now go tackle the holidays and spread more healthy, holiday cheer!
Sheet Pan Egg-Stuffed Bagels
All You Need:
1 Hy-Vee Bakery cinnamon crunch bagel + 1 tbsp Hy-Vee butter
¼ cup finely shredded Culinary Tours Gruyère cheese + 4-6 thin slices Di Lusso Black Forest ham
2 Hy-Vee medium eggs
Maple bacon onion jam (warmed) + Baby arugula, for serving
1 Hy-Vee Bakery everything bagel + 1 tbsp Hy-Vee butter
¼ cup finely shredded Soirée Manchego cheese + 4-6 thin slices Di Lusso cracked black pepper turkey
2 Hy-Vee medium eggs + Hy-Vee salt + black pepper
Fresh pico de gallo + avocado + cilantro + hot sauce, for serving
All you do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 16½ x 11½ inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make a larger hole in the center of each bagel half. Spread butter on cut side of bagel halves; set aside.
- Spread an even layer of shredded hard cheese (like Gruyère and Manchego) in 4-inch circles, leaving the middle open. This will ensure that the cheese browns evenly for added crunch and flavor. Place bagel halves, buttered side down, on top of cheese. If cheese appears in center hole of bagel, push cheese underneath the bagel.
- Arrange 2 to 3 Di Lusso ham or turkey slices in the center of each bagel hole, loosely pleating if necessary to create a basket to hold the egg.
- Gently crack a medium-size egg into each deli meat “basket.” Bake for 12 minutes. Remove baking pan from oven; loosely cover with foil. Bake for another 8 to 9 minutes or until egg whites are set. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, top bagel halves with desired toppers. Examples include maple bacon onion jam and arugula; or pico de gallo, avocado, cilantro and hot sauce.
Recipe source. The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.