My name is Ron Williams and I am asking for your support for Mayor of Lee’s Summit. I choose to run because I believe my experience, depth, and commitment to our community is essential to being an effective mayor.
I was born and raised here and have had a business in Lee’s Summit for over 25 years. I’ve been on multiple commissions and boards, served you on our city council 9 years, and worked tirelessly to make our community better – the community that you see today and the one we hope to be in the future.
During my time on council, I voted “yes” to place on the ballot key issues and participated in the vote “yes” campaigns which successfully built our community over the last 20 years. This includes projects and issues like our Police / Court Facility on Douglas, Fire Station #6 and #7, City Hall being built in Downtown Lee’s Summit, road and intersection improvements to Colbern, Todd George, Ward and West 3rd St, and Public Safety, Stormwater, and Sidewalk rehab and improvements.
I’ve voted “yes” on key project approvals which have contributed to retail, commercial and community assets such as Summit Woods, the expansion of Lee’s Summit Municipal Airport, and the Chapter 100 Bond financing for the redevelopment of the former AT&T facility, including the dedication of space within the facility for the first Summit Technology Academy Location.
As Mayor I will:
● Work to Improve the amenities and standard of living for all residents thus enhancing quality of life while protecting both personal and business investments in our community.
● Retain our “AAA” bond rating, thus helping to lower the interest cost of capital improvements and other city services.
● Create dynamic economic development projects with strong standards thus providing a strong tax base and reducing pressures to cut public safety and services. We must grow our tax base if we are to be able to pay our committed city personnel a wage they deserve and keep their talents here in our community.
● Focus on attracting new businesses to Lee’s Summit that will employ our skilled and educated workforce. 37K of you leave Lee’s Summit every day for work. I want to bring businesses here and keep our workforce here during the day.
● Insist upon respect of each other and of our constituents at the dias. The infighting, and discord on city council will stop. I will have no tolerance for it.
I believe in/that:
● The elected body can and should be the example for the community and set the tone.
● Respect of individuals and safety for all.
● Acknowledgement of differences in thoughts and culture in our community.
● Supporting existing Charities and Churches.
I will engage in and develop programs such as:
● ENGAGING OUR COMMUNITY – Supporting initiatives to engage more members of our community. Let’s get our talented people WORKING TOGETHER in our city. We need more collaboration and I will not only insist upon it, but facilitate it.
● Create a Public Bulletin board for important community issues. It will state ONLY THE FACTS. PRO/CON. NO Fluff. I want our citizens to be informed and not have to wade through the fluff often associated with complex and important issues.
● ENGAGING OUR YOUTH – I especially want to engage our youth in the community. An example is to have the R-7 and/or R-4 School Districts engage with the City Manager to develop practical tools to be used in the city. An example might involve the Robotics program by employing robotics tools in an application the city could use in one or more of its departments.
What is needed is a Mayor who is:
Patient – Fair – Even Tempered – Committed – Confident – Decisive – EXPERIENCED
I’d appreciate your vote for Mayor of Lee’s Summit.