KANSAS CITY, Mo., Jan. 12, 2019 @ 1:00 p.m.– KCP&L crews are working in snowy conditions to restore power outages caused by wet snow moving through the area. All available field crews and contractors have been brought in to get power back as soon as possible. KCP&L crews started restoring power last night and have restored about 25,000 customers since the storm began. As of mid-day Saturday, more than 75,000 customers were without power, with the majority of them in the Kanas City metro area.

Because snow continues to fall and accumulate on trees and power lines, KCP&L is still assessing damage as crews work to repair damage. Weather and road conditions are slowing restoration. Because of those circumstances, firm restoration times are not yet available. Based on current conditions, we expect restoration work to continue into Sunday.

With the extended outages and cold temperatures, warming centers are available in some communities. A list of warming centers is available from the United Way of Greater Kansas City online or by calling 2-1-1.

Power is on at Arrowhead Stadium for the Kansas City Chiefs play-off game this afternoon.

“We know many people are looking forward to watching the game,” said Gina Penzig, KCP&L manager, media communications. “If your power is out, we are working to restore it, but it might be good to make plans to watch the game elsewhere. If you choose to travel, please check road conditions and be safe.”

Current outage locations and numbers are available on the KCP&L outage map (outagemap.kcpl.com). Outages may be reported online at KCPL.com and at 1-888-LIGHTKC (888-544-4852).

With the cold temperatures and game day, people may be using generators. If so, these safety tips should be kept in mind:

  • Never connect generators to your home’s electrical panel or plug directly into a wall outlet. Generators should connect to essential appliances such as freezers and refrigerators.
  • If you connect a generator to house wiring, the correct way is to have a certified electrician install a power transfer switch.
  • Follow manufacturer’s instructions for operation.
  • Never use a portable generator indoors. This includes partially-enclosed areas such as a garage.
  • Place the generator away from windows or doors that could allow carbon monoxide to come indoors.
  • Don’t overload your generator.