Press Release Aug. 21, 2019

By Assistant Chief Jim Eden, Lee’s Summit Fire Department   

LEE’S SUMMIT, MO— On Wednesday, August 21, 2019, at 9:45 a.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 1811 NW Killarney Lane. The resident reported a fire in the kitchen that was spreading. The house was being evacuated, but the pets were still inside.

When the fire department arrived, heavy smoke was visible from the roof of the one-story, single family residence. The resident was safe outside.

The fire burned through the roof as firefighters were entering the building. Crews quickly extinguished the fire in the kitchen and removed the remaining ceilings to extinguish the fire that had spread to the attic.  A search of the house confirmed no one was inside. Crews did locate the pets and they were safe. The incident was under control by 10:03 a.m.

The fire caused heavy damage to the kitchen and the attic. The remainder of the house sustained varying amounts of heat and smoke damage. The cause of the fire was determined to be oil that ignited in a pan left unattended on the stove.

Two firefighters sustained minor injuries when a portion of the ceiling fell on top of them. Both were treated and released from an area hospital.


1 Comment

1 Comment

  • Linda Filbern

    August 21, 2019 - 3:03 pm

    Was this a John Knox residence?

Comments are closed.